You see them in the Gift Shop, at the information desks, transporting patients and on every floor of the hospital. Decatur Morgan Volunteers are a vital part of our hospital. More than 120 volunteers provide services throughout the hospital and in the community. In addition, the Volunteer Auxiliary raises money.
Volunteers receive many benefits.
- Complimentary meal on day(s) of service
- Complimentary parking in the parking deck on day(s) of service
- Complimentary membership to the LifeStyle program (for people over age 50)
- Initial and annual Tuberculosis skin test
- Annual flu shot
- Education and safety programs
- Recognition programs for hours and years of service
Teen Volunteer Program
The Teen Volunteer Program is active during summer vacation each year. Students accepted into the program volunteer 6 hours each week. Year-round, limited hours are available for teens as well.
Download a volunteer application or obtain one from the Decatur Morgan Volunteer office (1201 Seventh Street, SE, Decatur), or the Volunteer Center (1403 Office Park West, Suite G, Decatur). Applications are accepted year-round, even though the acceptance process takes place in the spring.
To participate in the Teen Volunteer Program, you and your parent(s) must attend an information session to familiarize you with the hospital and requirements of the program. Teens must be at least 14 years old to participate in the program.
Upon acceptance into the program, each volunteer must have the following.
- A physical form signed by a physician with the date of the last Tuberculosis skin test. If you need this test, Decatur Morgan will provide it for you at no cost.
- A copy of a State of Alabama Certificate of Immunization (blue) and a copy of a State of Alabama Certificate (pink) showing the date of your second measles vaccine. These can be obtained from your school guidance counselor's office or your physician.
- All volunteers must attend orientation.
For more information, please call Volunteer Services, at 256.973.2184.